The Siena/Francis House was founded in 1975 as an emergency overnight shelter for women at 19th & Burt Street in Omaha, Nebraska. Two years later, the organization added an emergency overnight shelter for men – along with a dining room and kitchen – at 19th & Cuming Street.
In 1994, the Siena/Francis House consolidated our women’s & children’s shelter and our men’s shelters, under one roof, at 1702 Nicholas Street. It was at about this same timeframe that the Siena/Francis House began operating our in-house, residential addiction recovery program.
Due to the overwhelming increases in homeless families and individuals requesting services, in 2005, the Siena/Francis House opened a facility addition known as our Baright Shelter, across the street (east) from our main facility. The Baright Shelter, located at 1111 North 17th Street, houses our men’s emergency overnight shelter, medical clinic, kitchen, pantry, shipping & receiving dock, and storage areas.
In the fall of 2008, the 1702 Nicholas Street facility was renovated, and now houses our women’s & children’s emergency overnight shelter, our men’s recovery program residence, our women’s recovery program residence, and meeting room space.
Also in 2008 – in partnership with the City of Omaha – the Siena/Francis House acquired an existing storefront facility at 1624 Nicholas Street, adjacent to, and just south of our Baright Shelter. The Siena/Francis House’s Day Services Center is housed in this facility.
The Siena/Francis House has evolved into the largest provider of services to the homeless in the region.